Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Week 3

As I was reading chapter 6 I found dramaturgical perspective to be a very interesting term. I have always observed how people will act differently around certain groups of people, but never thought of these roles to be slit up as they are in the book. As I read the terms more closely I found myself to have fit in one of those roles through out my life. The most interesting one was the "actor". Even though I try to be myself and not act differently there are times that I feel I have to act more "proper", for example when I am around the elders in my life. Since they are older then me I don't fell its right to use slang words or even use a curse word, like I would with my friends.

I also found audience segregation interesting. I used this a lot in high school with different friends that I hung out with who did not get a long. I use to joke with my friends saying I was doing "traffic control" trying to keep them away so there was not a wreak! This term also made me think about my facebook and myspace and what I put on there, especially now that I am looking for a full time job in the "real world". It never crossed my mind that perspective employers would go on these sites to get a better understanding of who you are as a person.

After reading this section of the book it really made me think of my life in a different way. My mom had always told me growing up that I was so dramatic, if she only knew that we all were actors in our own way!

No comments: