Friday, June 13, 2008

Chapter 4

As I was reading chapter 4 I found the concepts related to my everyday life more than I realized. Yes I know that as humans we communicate with people on an everyday basis, but to know the way we communicate with one another has concepts and meanings behind them, that was the crazy part. The concept that I found related to me the most was effective listening. I have always been taught going through school that the better you listen to a speaker the more that you get out of what they are saying. For example, I work with elderly people so their level of communication is different from mine. When I first started to work with them I found myself getting really frustrated because I was not understanding them, and they were not understanding me. The communication between us was not happening. I finally realized that maybe I was not taking the time to listen to what they wanted from me. I was jumping to conclusions; therefore getting them upset when I was giving them the wrong service. So I decided to take my time when it came time to help the elder people that come into my work. Yes, it might take me longer to help them, but in the long run we are have better communication between each other and having a much better experience.

No comments: